Coziness afficionado. Mom-in-chief. Clumsy smurf. Elephant fanatic. Chocoholic. Dad joke connaisseuse.
Hi there. How are you? Welcome to my cozy corner and thank you for visiting my blog. I hope you enjoy the content and find some inspiration.
I’m Mareike and my passion is making a house a home, where people feel welcome and enjoy great food. I drink my coffee with a straw. Why? It just tastes better that way. My spirit animal is an elephant as I can be incredibly stubborn, just like the grey pachyderms. I also love their soft hearts and their incredible sense of family.
When I was a little, I had a cozy corner that was my escape from the world, to relax and read. Nowadays I have exchanged that cozy corner with a hanging chair that I call a thinking bubble. Sitting in it allows me to daydream and letting my thoughts linger. This thinking bubble a.k.a. the literal cozy corner is the birth place of many articles you will find on this blog – the digital cozy corner. They are fueled by my passion for writing and creating tasty food. I consider it my personal excersise of mindfulness to spend time in the kitchen.
I love to laugh and laugh often, particularily if it’s a d(e)ad joke. I believe in loving yourself fiercely and treating yourself and others kindly. This translates to living healthy, while still enjoying the tasty side of life.
I live in Cologne, Germany, with my amazing German-American daughter and all the joy and challenges that come from being a bilingual tiny tribe and parenting in general. Since becoming a mom, I wanted to support other mom-sters by sharing what I learned on my parenting journey, because we all stress out way too much. After all, the mother hood is the best hood to live in. So trust yourself and your intrinsic mommy-ing abilities (or daddy-ing for that matter). You got this.
Random list of things I like:
- Iced coffee with hazelnut flavor
- Extra thick socks on rainy days
- French toast on sunday
- Walking for hours
- Farmers markets
- Rough coast lines
- The idea of owning 8 prarie dogs (yes, 8, that’s important)
- Season changes
- Reading biographies (my all-time favorite: Nelson Mandela’s Long walk to freedom)
- If I was allowed to only watch the same 5 movies on repeat, it would be: Blood Diamond, Sweet Home Alabama, Dirty Dancing, Jurassic Park and Walk The Line.
What makes my heart go pop pop pop
- Any day and any time of day: Bruce Springsteen (especially “No surrender” and “Then she kissed me”)
- For the heart: Bryan Martin “Beauty in the struggle”
- Nat King Cole “A bicycle ride for two”
- “Soul” by Brice Lee, holy mother of Moses do I love that song 😉
- “Save the last dance for me” by the Drifters
- “Easy street” by the Collapsable Hearts Club, which I discovered thanks to Norman Reedus
- Ray Collins’ Hot Club “Barefoot”
- “Sky and sand” by Paul Kalkbrenner and eletronic music in general for a night out
- And for Christmas: always Frank Sinatra
- French music faves: singer songwriter ZAZ, “Quelqu’un ma dit” and “Le toi du moi“
- German music faves: Lupo, Sportfreunde Stiller, Kasalla, Seeed and forever and always “Zu spät” by Die Ärzte and of course Fettes Brot
- The German song that was released the year I was born by a band that accompanied me through my entire childhood: “Du kanns zaubere” by BAP
- And, yes, I do know this is a pretty random list. Though I’m generally a sucker for lyrics, so this is how this came about.
The longest journey you will make in your life is the one from your head to your heart.Sioux proverb