Coziness afficionado. Mom-in-chief. Clumsy smurf. Elephant fanatic. Chocoholic. Dad joke connaisseuse.
Hi there. How are you?
Welcome to my cozy corner and thank you for visiting my blog. I hope you enjoy the content and find some inspiration.
I am Mareike and my passion is making a house a home, where people feel welcome and enjoy great food. I drink my coffee with a straw. Why? It just somehow tastes better that way. My spirit animal is an elephant as I can be incredibly stubborn, just like the grey pachyderms. I also love their soft hearts and their incredible sense of family.
When I was a little, I had a cozy corner that was my escape from the world, to relax and read. Nowadays I have exchanged that cozy corner with a hanging chair that I call a thinking bubble, since sitting in it allows me to daydream and letting my thoughts linger freely.
This thinking bubble a.k.a. the literal cozy corner is the birth place of many articles you will find on this blog – the digital cozy corner. They are fueled by my passion for writing and creating tasty food, since I love baking and cooking. I also consider it my personal excersise of mindfulness to spend time in the kitchen.
I love to laugh and laugh often, particularily if it’s a d(e)ad joke. I believe in loving yourself fiercely and treating yourself (and others) kindly. This translates to living healthy, while still enjoying the tasty side of life.
I’m 5′3, which saddens me as I always loved the idea of being 5′4.
I live in Cologne, Germany and I am the mom to my amazing German-American daughter and all the joys and challenges that come from being a bilingual and binational tiny tribe and parenting in general.
Since becoming a mom, I wanted to support other mom-sters by sharing what I learned on my parenting journey, because it feels we all stress out way too much. After all, the mother hood is the best hood to live in. So trust yourself and your intrinsic mommy-ing abilities (or daddy-ing for that matter) and do what feels right for your family, not for others. You got this, girl.
Random list of things I like:
- Iced coffee with hazelnut flavor
- Extra thick socks on rainy days
- French toast on sunday
- Walking for hours
- Farmers markets
- Rough coast lines
- The idea of owning 8 prarie dogs (yes, 8, that’s important)
- Season changes
- Reading biographies (my all-time favorite: Nelson Mandela’s Long walk to freedom) and history books. I am a non-fiction kinda gal.
- If I was allowed to only watch the same 5 movies on repeat, it would be: Blood Diamond, Sweet Home Alabama, Dirty Dancing, Jurassic Park and Walk The Line.
What makes my heart go pop pop pop
- Any day and any time of day: Bruce Springsteen (especially “No surrender” and “Then she kissed me”)
- Willie Nelson’s “It’s hard to be humble”
- Nat King Cole “A bicycle ride for two”
- “Save the last dance for me” by the Drifters
- The Cure
- “Easy street” by the Collapsable Hearts Club
- Ray Collins’ Hot Club “Barefoot”
- “Sky and sand” by Paul Kalkbrenner
- And for Christmas: always Frank Sinatra
- French music faves: singer songwriter ZAZ and Carla Bruni (“Quelqu’un ma dit” and “Le toi du moi“)
- German music faves: Lupo, Sportfreunde Stiller, Kasalla and forever and always “Zu spät” by Die Ärzte and of course Fettes Brot
- And, yes, I do know this is a pretty random list. Though I’m generally a sucker for lyrics, so this is how this came about.
The longest journey you will make in your life is the one from your head to your heart.Sioux proverb